OK, so there aren't really very many things that I actually interfere with on my wife's blog, but today is election day. I hope that everyone took the time to vote regardless of who you voted for. Also, I have been intrigued by proposition 8 in California. This has been brought up a number of times in our church since we attend a student ward with many Californian residences. This is an interesting matter as the line between politics and morality is becoming gray. However, as a moral issue, as preached in the LDS church, it is not a gray line but a simple right and wrong decision no matter what the government says. The real issue is how this will affect the rest of our lives. It is more than just giving gay people rights, but will affect what society teaches our children and is a direct attack against the family (as defined between a man and a woman as defined in The Family: A Proclamation to the World). It is interesting the church took its stand years ago--and has not changed. As I am not real political, I would encourage you to look at the both sides, especially if you are from CA and vote. Here are some links:
http://www.protectmarriage.com/ - For Proposition 8, defines marriage between a man and a woman only
http://www.noonprop8.com/ - Against proposition 8. Argues that everyone has a right to be a family and defines a family as having two men, women, or one of each married.
http://thepebbles.blogspot.com/2008/10/take-stand.html - This a blog entry I thought was good and made good points for it.
The most disappointing aspect of this has been the justification of many. I recently read an entry on the internet with some really weak arguments stating that the Bible never condemns homosexual activity. It is one thing for a political issue, but as a moral and religious issue, especially in the LDS church where we believe in modern revelation, this should be a non-issue as there is no question that in God's sight, marriage is only between a man and woman.
I am for it, but I am not a CA resident. I believe that marriage is ONLY between a man and a woman. This issue attacks the family which is the moral fiber of this nation and will only lead to further problems, i.e. see Sodom and Gomorrah, in my opinion. If it does not pass, we may see a ripple affect through out the rest of the nation, or we may not. It will interesting to see how it turns out.
I am sorry if I offended anyone and this is purely my views, I have not consulted Katie on this matter, but I felt like I should voice my opinion and stand up for what I believe to be right.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanx Mike for your comments. They are very appropriate. I am hearkening back to the early 90's when I was asked to be on a parent curriculum committe. We learned that the gay and lesbian groups has been very aggresive in preparing a curriculum to be taught in the schools K-12 promoting the same sex agenda. We did keep it out of our little Reedville district, But it has squirmed it's way into mainstream education.
I hear now, that here in Oreogn, children as young as 2nd graders are being taught that they have to try both lifestyles before they can make a true judgement.
The gay force are not just innocent little victims who we need to protect~they are most aggresive in tryinig to validate their lifestyle.
Luv,
ma Bell
Yea for prop 8 passing!!!
Hey Mike, your post worked, it passed!
Mike,
We all just have to say amen to what you said. So if this didn't pass Sterling was probably going to leave the state of CA and never return. It is so discouraging how this whole thing has been camoflauged as an "equality issue." We're glad it passed, but we still are not at all trusting of the public school setting where teachers are already incorporating their "lifestyles." Anyway, we were so grateful to be a part of all the calling, door to door contact, and what not. It was so great to see the wards band together to stand up for what we know to be true. We hope you guys are all doing well and I'm sure Katie has fed those little twins lots of Halloween Candy!!! That darn Halloween Candy!!! I can't seem to give it away, so I just eat it!
We miss you guys.
Chris and Sterling
I was mostly against it, but I'm completely open to be proven wrong. I like that you posted sites for and against it. Did you read www.mormonsformarriage.com? (or.org...I don't know, google it). Anyway, lots of the arguments laid out by proponets are false, however...is that true what your mom-in-law said? That 2nd graders are being taught they have the TRY BOTH? Really? I don't know, but I would find that hard to believe. Why are we wanting to teach second graders about sexuality AT ALL?
Post a Comment