As I grew up I was allowed to help more and more with the event. This afforded me the opportunity to learn how to make many of these delightful treats. As an adult, the few years that I have been fortunate enough to live close to my mother at Christmas time, we have gathered all of the "Bell Girls" to recreate the 'extravaganza.' I don't think we've ever done all of the treats that were done back in the day, but it was still always so much fun to get together and dip our little hearts out.
Obviously, this year is not one of those fortunate years that I, nor any of my blood sisters, live close to our mother. So, I got together with my good friends Erin Allen and Melissa Miller to have our own 1st Annual Chocolate Dipping Extravaganza. We had such a great time, even though our first batch of toffee ended up in the garbage (we burned it), and quite a few of the caramels were eaten by Melissa's dog while they were outside cooling. But, what's a night without a little excitement, right?
We've already decided that we'll be getting together next Christmas to do it all again. I can hardly wait. So Mom, I just wanted you to know that the tradition lives on! And it's all thanks to you that we were able to do any of it because if you hadn't taught me how to do this stuff I'd simply be remembering those crazy nights of chocolate dipping madness that you and your friends had years ago.
York Peppermint Patties

A wide variety of treats we made. I forgot to take pictures of the chocolates in progress so this is the finished array.
9 comments:
sounds like so much fun and super yummy!! i want to learn!
Mmmmmmm! Sounds so good, I am remembering last year, when we were lucky enough to test out all those good treats!
It looks so good! You are so talented!
Did you know that I am doing that same thing (but with mom) when she comes to visit next week? It will be so fun. Does that white chocolate have peppermint in it?
Becca-
Yes, we did peppermint bark which is the only white item on the plates. I'm a horrible photographer so the quality of the picture is kind of bad.
Hey sorry for the random post, this is Cousin Natalee! Hi Mike! Anyways your treats look delicious. Katie I have heard so much about you. One day hopefully we will meet. Check out my blog at whatshouldinamethisthis.blogspot.com. Merry Christmas! Natalee (Smith) Francom
yum! i want some!
mmmm those look delicious! I like that i dont have to get dirty but i still get to enjoy them :) ha ha j/k.
I am so impressed you are keeping the tradition alive. As a daughter of a mother who participated in the original chocolate nights, I can't say I'm up to carrying on the tradition. Although I loved eating and trying all the different chocolates. The carmels were definately my fav. Sure miss those days. Love you Kate. Jenn
Post a Comment