It starts Saturday night. I was pretty nervous Saturday not knowing what to expect on Sunday morning. I talked to my sister, Becca, and basically just cried to her about how nervous I was. It was good to talk to her and it helped me feel a little less anxious. Mike had taken Jack to the BYU basketball game, so my Mom and I were settling to watch some TV when my Dad called. My Mom has been here for a week now so she and my Dad talk every night. Anyway, I just hear my Mom's side of the conversation which was something like this. "Why have you been in the car all day?" "No, you're not." "Katie, is there someone outside?" I open the blinds and sure enough my Dad, Mike's Mom and Mike's little brother are walking up the grass. WHAT!!!! I open the door and ask my Dad what on earth they are doing here? His response was, "Did you think I was going to miss this? We drove all day to be here for tomorrow." I was a wreck...sobbing ridiculously...what can I say?
Sunday morning the hospital called around 6:30 a.m. and asked us to be there by 7:00. We got there right at 7:00 but by the time we got checked, to my delivery room and set-up it was 8:00 a.m. They did my IV and then started the pitocin and by then it was 8:30. They checked me right away and I was only dialated to about a 1.5 but I was already 90% effaced. They also did an ultrasound to make sure both babies were still head down.
My pitocin was turned up every 30 min. but nothing really started until my doctor broke my water around 9:30. The contractions started getting harder but I was holding off on the epidural. They were bearable and I wanted to feel what was happening. That went on until about 12:00 but the contractions were getting pretty uncomfortable. My doctor (and Utah Valley Hospital) require that you have an epidural if you're having twins because of the likelihood of an emergency c-section. They want you to be numb already just in case that have to cut you open.
Anyway, the contractions were getting pretty hard and I knew I had to get the epidural so at 12:00 I told them to go ahead and give it to me. As I was getting the epidural the contractions started to get really hard and by the time the needle was in I was in some major pain. It was just my back though. The anesthesiologist kept saying, "can you still feel those?" And I could...and they were hurting really bad...really bad. The nurse said, she must be progressing really fast let me check her to see what's happening. She checked me and things were turned into fast forward...I was at a 10!!! The nurse started getting frantic and the anesthesiologist said, "I'm going to go get something stronger for you." I didn't care, I just knew that I hurt like heck. The nurse kept running to the door saying, "is the doctor here yet? My twins are ready! We've got to go!" She went from a 4 to a 10 in 25 minutes!!! When you have twins you have to deliver in an operating room, again in case of emergency c-section.
My nurse finally said, "We can't wait. I'm getting her to the OR, have the doctor meet us there." And with that she threw a package of scrubs at Mike and said "you've got to get these on." And we were rushing down the hall while the anesthesiologist was pumping something "stronger" into my epidural drip. We got into the OR and my nurses were prepping everything for the doctor to come in. I could still feel the contractions, but still just in my back...oh how it hurt.
The doctor strolled in (literally) and I started pushing. I pushed about 6 times (at this point whatever they gave me had kicked in and I could not feel anything in my legs. They were literally flopping all over the place) and out came Max. The fact that Baby A was a boy was a bit shocking because we were told Baby A was a girl. My looked at me perplexed and said, "it's a boy?" I had enough time to ask, "so, how much time do you think there will be between the two?" The doctor responded, "I don't think it will be much this time. You're having a contraction, push." I pushed once and out came Evelyn. Again, a little shocking since Baby B was suppose to be a boy. The week previously we had found out that our doctor does not have a very good track record at getting the gender of the babies right. So, Mike and I were a little nervous that he was wrong. Turns out he was, but he was wrong on both of them which means he was still right.
After each baby was born they ran them off to a room connected to the OR where there is a team from the NICU to make sure the babies are okay. So, I laid there in this stark white, bright operating room while the doctor stitched me up. About 10 minutes later Mike came in with both babies in his arms. What a sight that was. I think that is when it sunk in that I had just had two babies. I was anxious to know their stats. Max weighed 6 lbs. 12 oz. and was 19 inches long, and Evelyn weighed 6 lbs. 1 oz. and was 18 inches long. Both are healthy and strong.
I honestly feel fantastic. I feel better now then I did after Jack's birth. I don't have a very big incision to heal so that definitely helps. I'm just doing my best to figure out how to tend to two little babies. So far it hasn't been all that bad. Evelyn is struggling to eat a little bit and has lost almost 10% of her birth weight so they are concerned with me making sure she gets enough to eat. Max is just a slug and completely content with whatever.
Behold the babes....Kenneth Maxwell Smith "Max", and Evelyn Claire Smith.
Right after returning from the OR to the delivery room.
Snuggling together.
On our way home from the hospital.
47 comments:
Oh, I am so glad to see them!! Ahh! Precious little babies. I love them already. Katie, you did such a great job! You look amazing in your pictures, so it's hard to believe you felt ANY pain whatsoever, and that you were carrying nearly 13 pounds of baby around with you! :) They are just beautiful and adorable. We're so happy for you guys, and we're glad everything went so well. Congratulations!!
Good job, mom! Sounds like a picture perfect delivery. You deserve it after how hard you have worked! I have been checking your blog like a stalker because I have been so excited to hear about the babies! So awesome that you dad and family came to be with you. How special! I am so happy things went well and you are recovering well. I am so happy for you! (Did Mike remember to get you your donut? If not, let me know and I will totally hook you up...hehe)
Katie! I'm so excited for you! BJ and I have been wondering and worrying about you for about a month now, so I'm very glad to hear everything worked out great. If you need any help at all, please, let us know, we're more than happy to help. [squeal!]
They are so precious! We are so happy for you guys! Congrats! Parker will be calling to play with Jack soon!
Holy cow! What a story! And I thought Brandon was hard...he was 6lb 11oz at 38 weeks! Next time I have a baby I'm thinking of how strong you were with two! Congrats!
Yeah!! They're here and SO cute! I can't believe how big they are! That's wonderful!
Congratulations! What adorable newborns. I loved to see them snuggling together. Bravo to you for your delivery.
Wow! Congratulations! They look perfect and you look fabulous! The picture of them snuggling is precious! That is great that your family was able to be there! What a miracle babies and birth are!
I need to see you and these babies NOW! Email me when you're ready for babysitters. You're a rockstar.
Oh, they are so cute! Evelyn looks like such a little lady. It's amazing to me that you can seriously tell which one is the boy and which one is the girl already - and NOT just because there's a bow on her head. She's just so pretty, and what can I say, he's so masculine! They are so cute! I'm so glad everything went well, and that your doctor was wrong twice - it would have been a shame to have to get rid of all those cute girly things you got! It sounds like everything went as smooth as it could have. I'm so happy for you! You look great, by the way~
ps- can't wait to hear what Jack's had to say about all this!
YOU AMAZE ME!!! They are so beautiful and I'm all choked up now. Can't wait to see them.
They are so cute! Congrats! I'm glad everything went well!
Wahoo! I am so excited to finally see pictures. Mom called me as soon as she found out and I have been stalking your blog every day since! I can't believe they were so big and you were so SMALL! haha You look awesome...I am jealous! haha ;) Good work guys and keep us posted!
I love them! Yay! They are so fun and so cute! Even though you said Evelyn looks like Jack I see some Jack in Max for sure! They are so adorable! YAY FOR TWINS!
My babies!
Katie, they are so cute!!! I am so glad things went well. I hope you all are doing wonderfully!
Congratulations Katie & Mike! They are beautiful!! Glad everything went well at the hospital!
Yay I couldn't wait for you next post. Congrats to you and Mike. I am SO glad you didn't have to have a c-section. They are beautiful. Don't ever feel bad about stealing my name. I don't mind one bit. It's a beatiful name that rocks. I am so glad they are healthy and most importantly out of your belly. We will be stopping by in a few weeks.
Congrats Katie! They are so cute! Can you believe you have TWO babies?! So crazy! We're so excited for you and can't wait to meet them!
THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! That little baby girls needs some "peeties." I'll get on that straight away! Katie,.. Im not kidding when I say this,.. but you are my hero! I can't believe you gave birth to 13 lbs of baby, and you "feel great" I feel like crap and I haven't given birth. maybe I should hit the gym??? Nah!! ;) I won't intrude and say when can I come see you, but I might just drop something off and leave it on the door step. Love your guts! I want to hear how Jack is adjusting when you get some time!! CONGRATS! They really are BEAUTIFUL!!!(there is my novel)
YEAH!!! They are adoreable! You keep on stealing my names! All your kids have names that I want my children to have (including Evelyn's middle name). I love it!
I am glad you are all doing well.
Yay Katie! I'm glad you're feeling well and that they are finally here. Congrats a thousand times over. They are adorable! That little Max looks like a little chub. So cute.
Congrats!! What beautiful babies! We're so glad babies and Momma are doing good. You do some good cooking Kate. Love you!
I am too excited for words. i am so glad to hear that everything went alright. let me know if you need anything (someone to watch Jack for a while, food, etc). CONGRATs!!!
wow! they are so big and healthy! that is wonderful! thanks for sharing the story! i love baby stories! i totally know what it feels like to progress super fast! that was my experience with mahea! ouchie! i almost prefer the slow and long over the fast and short!
so glad they are here and how fun to have so many of your family there for it! have fun adjusting to life with two newborns! that's crazy! but if anyone can do it, it's you! you're wonderwoman!
oh my goodness they are soooooo beautiful. If I didn't have a 6 month old, I would be on a plane so fast to come and hold those babies. I am so glad you had family there! And I feel relieved that everything went so smoothly. I was thinking about you all day last Sunday. You are amazing and will do great with this transition to three kiddos. Take care!
Congratulations!! I've been waiting to hear the news and see the pics. What beautiful babes. Katie you look fabulous. I'm glad everything went well and that you have lots of help!
CONGRATULATIONS!! We are so happy for you. The two of them are adorable.
ok how in the world do you look so incredibly fantastic having giving birth to twins?!?!?! you look great!! seriously. your babies are absolutely adorable! that is so funny that he got them both wrong but then he ended up being right. i was reading your story and fast and dramatic like i was watching it on tv or something. good work momma i am very proud of you!! you're a mom of 3 now :) congrats katie!!!
congratulations! I wish i were there to help :)
Katie! How exciting! I was thinking about you all last weekend wondering if you had those sweet babies yet! They're gorgeous! You look amazing too, especially for just pushing TWO 6 plus pound babies out of you!
That's so special that your Dad surprised you like that! I can relate on a fraction of the level because my Dad said he couldn't be there when I was in labor because he had court that day. I was so sad that he wasn't going to be at the hospital and I begged him to get out of it but he kept telling me he couldn't. When I was struggling with some heavy contractions, my Dad came in to let me know he was out in the waiting room. I started bawling. It just meant so much to have him there, even though it was just in the waiting room.
So it sounds like we both have some pretty awesome Dads!
Congrats! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear what Jack thinks of his new brother and sister!
These are some seriously cute babies. For real. They are cute stuff. Especially for newborns!
I'm so excited for you! Look great in those pictures, even though you just gave birth!
Hey this is Jared from Oregon. CONGRATS you guys! That is so awesome. I'm glad to hear the pregnancy and delivery was successful and everyone is healthy. We're very happy for you guys. Have fun with the new babies - I bet Jack will love them to pieces. By the way, this is the second comment I've ever posted on a blog, and maybe the third post (besides Carol's) that I've ever read so I hope that makes you feel special. j/k ;) We're still waiting for you guys to come down and visit too!
YOU GO GIRL!!!! I bet it is so nice to have them finally here! They are definitely cute little ones! We might have to look you guys up with brooky gets older and see if Max is available :-)
congratulations Katie and Mike. Beautiful babies. I saw LaFawn today and she told me the news. I am so happy for you both. BTW I saw a photo of you right before you went to the hospital and you looked great. I am amazed you stayed so small with almost 13 pounds of baby in you. Way to go.
Congratulations!!! They are beautiful, I love their names, and you look great! I am so glad you got to do this without the c-section...my last little guy...well, 10 lb. 5 oz...was an emergency c-section and I was SO GRATEFUL for that epidural. They would have held me down and cut me open without it so thank goodness for medicine! Keep us posted when you have time...Hmmm, does that mean when they go to kindergarten? CONGRATS!!
What precious little angels! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
Yahoo! Congratulations! I loved reading about it all...how fun that both of your parents were there, as well as Mike's mom and brother. So neat!!! What a fun surprise for you! Your babies are beautiful...Welcome little Max and Evie! Love you, Katie! You are the best!
I love the snuggling pictures! They love eachother!
Congrats!! They are simply adorable!!
I am SO excited for YOU!!! Way to go! You are amazing!!! We are hoping to have you back to turbo soon :) No pressure!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Katie you look great after having twins!! That is awesome that your Dad surprised you...how precious is that.
Congratulations on your sweet babies. Wish we were closer to help you guys out a little. Lots of love! M&E
Katie I'm so glad you commented on my blog! I've been wanting to see your twins so bad! They are soooo precious. I just love them!!
It is nice to know there are other hard core cougar fans out there! Yes we were with Cami and JR in Vegas. Too bad the cougs were a bust. Are you guys watching the game tomorrow morning?? We are both excited and nervous!
I know this is extremely late but I have been out of the blogging world a long time!! I asked my husband if you had your babies and he said yes (because he reads our friends blogs more the i do :) I had to come on and say congratulations and tell you how beautiful they are. I am glad everything turned out well and that you feel good. I love reading birthing stories. Any way, way to go and I hope you are enjoying your beautiful little ones!!
Post a Comment